Friday, February 4, 2011
Our dessert tonight- Chai Spiced Apple Gingerbread Trifle With White Chocolate Mousse
Chai Spiced Apple Gingerbread Trifle With White Chocolate Mousse
1/2 cup molasses
1 stick of butter, melted
1 extra-large egg
1/2 cup hot water
1 package DCD Gingerbread Mix
6 large Granny Smith apples
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (included in the Gingerbread Mix kit)
1 package DCD Spiced Chai Tea
White Chocolate Mousse
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
1 packet DCD Frosty White Chocolate
Dark Chocolate Mousse
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 packet DCD Chocolate Mousse Mix
2 bars DCD Chef-Series Dark Chocolate (4 oz.)
DCD Pastry Bag, DCD Parchment Sheets
Preparing the cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x11" pan or line with parchment paper for easy release. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together molasses, butter, egg and water.
2. Pour in the Gingerbread Mix, and continue mixing until batter is smooth.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Cool and cut into small cubes. Set aside.
Preparing the apples
4. Peel, quarter and core apples. Cut into ¼" slices. In a saucepan over medium heat, simmer apples, butter, sugars, and Chai Tea until cooked and juicy, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
Preparing the mousses
5. White Chocolate Mousse: pour cream and milk into a mixing bowl. Begin to whip with an electric mixer while pouring in the Smoothie Mix. Whip until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Dark Chocolate Mousse: prepare 1 batch according to instructions on the packet (using the heavy cream and Dark Chocolate).
Preparing the trifle
7. In the bottom of a trifle bowl, spoon a layer of Dark Chocolate Mousse, followed by a layer of the gingerbread cubes. Top with a layer of White Chocolate Mousse. Arrange half of the chai-spiced apples on the White Chocolate Mousse. Then repeat all layers again. For a professional finish, use your DCD Pastry Bag to pipe a decorative twist of White Chocolate Mousse on top.
DCD Chocolate Leaves, grated DCD Chef-Series White and Dark Chocolate
Makes 4 - 5 individual trifles or 1 large trifle
You can use similar ingredients you find at the store or modify it and make it your own. You can also browse my website for the ingredients listed and can purchase them from me anytime.