For some time now I have had a large magnet board hanging in the hallway. The frame was black and the background was plain silver metal. Over time however the metal looked more scratched than anything and the whole thing was looking a bit blah! So, after seeing a photo on Pinterest... I decided to fix the background. I used an old book that was yellowed and falling apart. Then after cutting up the print into various sizes, I modge podged them to the metal. When it dried it had a nice durable glossy finish. It does look much better than the original and is one of those projects that I look at and wish I had stumbled upon a long time ago. It is such an improvement!
I have not yet hung it back up yet because I am thinking I need to make magnets to go with it. Which gives me another project to do!